480, Oregon 73
Fremont National Forest
Coordinates: N43 16.468 W121 21.322
Administrative Unit: U.S. Forest Service
Date Registered: 3 /31/2003
To Topographical Map
A telephone line was strung from the Oatman Ranger Station to Bald
Mountain in 1917. In 1918 firew-finding equipment was installed.
In 1928, a 40' steel tower with a 14'x14' steel cab was constructed. In 1941 the Fremont National Forest constructed
the present lookout, a
classic L-4, hip-roof with catwalk on a 29' 6" treated timber tower.
Besides the Forest Service, this site has been operated by the Walker Range Patrol
and in the early days by the Klamath Forest Protective Association.
Corrections or Additions? Contact
Back to Top